I Love Melbourne graffiti

Sunday, July 30, 2006

What if there was no internet?

I Love Melbourne graffiti

I had this thought the other day. At what stage does a graffiti artist see his/her self retired? I thought this as someone from Queensland asked me who was rockin Melbourne? I had the instant urge to reel off a whole bunch of old school names and then I checked myself by saying they dont actually write anymore but really rocked my world. So at what stage are you retired? I figure if you were a true writer then you never really quit, even though your not active. It must be kind of like heroin?

Then I wondered what the old schoolers who didn't have internet or a gammit of books and magazines thought of newschool graff? Back in the days there probably wasn't the same level of diversity but due to the lack of external influence there was more inovation for the slower progressive changes that occured.

Thats not to say that new cats don't have style or inovation, look at Melbournes AEON. Theres a stylish dude for you. And inovative for a world full of stymulas. But what if there were no internet graff, would there be so many middle rung writers? It seems that the internet has raised the bottom level of graff and street art and lowered the top. So what if there was no internet art? Would this level change of happened normally? Would the inovators of old still be as innovative and would the youngsters be as fresh? Would we have some of the interesting Post New York styles that we now have? And the 3D action? Maybe DAIM would paint flat? Thats alot of to think about? On that note I will.
Peace..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home